Delta-8-THC is the cannabinoid closest related to delta-9-THC, accredited to the double bond in structure. Delta-8 has a double bond located at the 8th position, and delta-9 has a double bond found in the ninth. The key difference between delta 8 and delta 9 is the process that they each bind to cannabinoid receptors. Delta 9 is responsible for psychotropic effects. Delta 8 is similar to CBD.
The Impact of Delta 8 THC
Delta-9-THC is the main intoxicating component found in Cannabis, but that doesn’t mean it is the sole compound that causes intoxicating effects. Delta 8 is said to be present in most strains of flower. Those that consume Delta 8 say that it has distinct effects, different from Delta 9. If ingested at high levels, Delta 8 is said to induce unmistakable psychotropic effects.
In plain English, Delta-8 has been described to offer a milder cannabis high, still effective, with a limited feeling of intensity, at least when described in comparison to the effects of the more common Delta 9.
Studies Showing the Potential Benefits of Delta-8-THC
Most cannabinoids share the same potential therapeutic benefits and each express identifiable value in treating certain conditions. Although the research around the benefits of Delta-8 are limited at this time, it has displayed potential with treatment of the following ailments:
Delta- 8 THC and Nausea
- The nausea fighting potential of Delta-8-THC was reported in a 1995 study published in “Life Sciences.” Patients ingested Delta-8-THC before and for 24 hours after cancer treatment. The study reported very few side effects.
- In 1995, Dr. Raphael Mechoulam, performed a study involving Delta-8 THC for treating pediatric cancer patients in Israel. Delta-8 THC clinical trials were conducted on a group of eight different children with ages ranging from 3 to 13 undergoing chemotherapy treatment for different cancers. Delta-8 was administered directly ahead of each dose of chemotherapy and then followed up at intervals of every 6 hours throughout a 24-hour time period. The study’s end result was very promising. When undergoing Delta-8 THC treatments, vomiting was completely prevented with side effects being insignificant.
Delta-8 THC and Cancer
- Aside from its powerful anti-emetic capabilities, the National Cancer Institute cites Delta-8 for possessing strong anti-anxiety effects. It is also cited that Delta-8 can increase appetite while displaying reduced cognitive effects typically occurring with THC.
Delta- 8 and Anxiety
- Weedmaps published an article with information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine, stating that Delta-8-THC displays anxiety-reducing qualities, similar to delta-9-THC. There is currently minimal clinical documentation investigating its anti-anxiety potential, but anecdotal reports claim that the consumption of Delta-8-THC results in a very calm, focused high, without the anxiety that can sometimes accompany delta-9-THC (strain dependent).
There is are a variety of Delta-8 shopping options online. Delta-8 is said to be effective and these products seem to be good for individuals seeking the various wellness benefits. To learn more about Delta-8-THC and find deals on great products stay tuned!
Written by: Ethan; Herbal Wehrhouse
Edited by: Veronica Castillo
- Herb of Life Cultivation, LLC
- Korasana (with partner Zero Point Extractions)
- Peacock/ Wunderkind CBD
- The Botanical Joint
- The B Better Company
- The Magic Bean
- Portland Ashwagandha Farm
- Thank you all for supporting the mission of this blog by taking care of the Writers! With your support, we are able to educate, inform, connect, and break stigmas. Cannabis builds community, and we are grateful to you all for being a part of ours!
Please visit our sponsors! Collectively, they compensate the Writers for their contributions to this blog.