- 6 medium apples (6 ½ cups) cut into chunks (use a mix of granny smith, honey crisp, gala or fuji for sweet and sour tastes)
- 1 large lemon (5 teaspoons juice- fresh squeezed juice is best)
- ½ cup brown or coconut sugar (date sugar for those with sensitivities to sugars)
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour (unbleached pastry, spelt or whole wheat)
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon pink himalayan sea salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, melted
- Crunchy option: ½ cup crushed walnuts or pecans for a nutty crunch.
Cannabis infused option: Use 2 tablespoons herb-infused coconut oil and ⅓ cup of herb-infused vegan butter in the topping ingredients. Herb-infused sugar can also be used for a further lifted experience.
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Peel and dice apples and put into a large bowl
- Add the filling ingredients in with the apples and toss until apples are covered with the mixture
- In a small pot, melt the coconut oil and vegan butter on low heat
- In another bowl put all the topping ingredients, including the melted fats, and combine. The mixture should be clumpy and wet-dry.
- Pour the apple filling ingredients into a baking pan (a pie pan or deep baking dish)
- Pour some of the wet-dry topping mixture onto the apples and mix to coat the top layer. (For added crisp, create a second batch of wet-dry topping mix and add to top of the pan).
- Put the baking pan into the oven and cook at 350 for 55-60 minutes. The apples will be bubbly and the the dish will start to turn brown on top.
- Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving with vegan ice cream/whipped cream on alone. Serve warm for best gooey-crispy goodness.